Niagara Falls Reporter
Home | Archive / Search
AUGUST 26- SEP 03, 2014

Historian Will Speak About History of LaSalle at the NT History Museum

August 26, 2014

The “Griffon” First sailing vessel built by “white men” to sail the Great Lakes. Built at the mouth of Cayuga Creek by Robert de la Salle, Father Louis Hennepin and two score followers. Launched July 1679.

The North Tonawanda History Museum will present Teresa Lasher Winslow on Saturday, Sept. 20 at 2 p.m. with "The History of LaSalle."

Admission is free.

Winslow is the chairman of LaSalle PRIDE, Inc., a not-for-profit organization that deals, in part, with cataloging the history of the former Village of LaSalle in the southeast section of the City of Niagara Falls.

The “LaSalle Free Library” was located to the Town and Village Hall building on the corner of South Military and what is now 91st St. When the new Village Hall was built in 1925, the library was relocated there in what is now the children’s room.

LaSalle was once a part of the Town of Niagara, became officially a village in 1897, and later was annexed into the City of Niagara Falls in 1927.

LaSalle changed from a rural farming community to a suburban development during the first half of the 20th Century. It is named for Robert de la Salle, a French explorer who in 1679 launched his boat, the Griffon, from the approximate location of Griffon Park on Buffalo Avenue.

Winslow is a former Niagara County Historian and helped organize and held office in the Town of Niagara Historical Society, the Historical Society of North German Settlements of Western New York, the Carrousel Society of the Niagara Frontier, the Western New York Association of Historical Agencies and the Niagara County Federation of Historical Societies. She was also executive director of The Hudson Mohawk Industrial Gateway, an industrial history museum in Troy, N. Y.





Move Over Maid of the Mist, History Made by Boat Tour That Can Change Face of Tourism
Tour Goes Where No Boats Have Gone Before
Councilman Anderson Wants Action on Rats
Lewiston Police Consolidation Debate Argued, Pros and Cons Offered
Explaining the Race for the 62nd Senate District
Reporter, Councilman Touma Team Up to Make Hyde Park Blvd. Safer for Children
After Announcing Extramarital Affair, Arnold Explains Why She is Back in the Race and Why She Told on Herself
A Tale of Two Parks One City, Two Parks And Same Result: Unhappy Residents
Letters to the Editor
30,000 New Yorkers Support Libertarians on the Ballot
Grandinetti Attack Puzzling To Local Newspaperman
Craft Speaks Out Exclusively to The Reporter on LPD Consolidation
Historian Will Speak About History of LaSalle at the NT History Museum
Seneca Nation President's Race Gets First Declared Candidate, Darlene Miller
SAFE ACT Sign Thieves Strike North Tonawanda
DEC: Don't Feed Black Bears
If You're Black Read this: The Role of the Jury in Freeing Slaves Cannot be Overrated!
Lions Club's Plans Nature Walk to Raise Funds for Visually Impaired
62nd Senate District Jokes...
Newport Mansion With Olmsted Gardens! Only $10.5M
Prozeralik, 90, Succumbs, Award Dinner in his Honor Canceled

Contact Info

©2014 The Niagara Falls Reporter Inc.
POB 3083, Niagara Falls, N.Y. 14304
Phone: (716) 284-5595

Publisher and Editor in Chief: Frank Parlato
Managing Editor: Dr. Chitra Selvaraj
Senior Editor: Tony Farina